Inventory and Decision Support Software
This software has been developed by Future Forests Research for sensitivity analysis of growth modelling and testing management regimes, to derive future production and income in P. radiata; also available for other species listed. Radiata calculator members only.
- Updating you with the latest research from the GCFF programme December 2015
Identifying where our planted forests are underperforming, the establishment of a new field trials to test the legacy effects of nursery management and the establishment of an automated system to…
- How much wood has my woodlot got? May 2015
Scion seeks small woodlot owners to help test a new tool that will provide simple recommendations to assist management of small-scale forest stands. Decision support tools that provide management recommendations…
- Research at Scion - The changing face of forest monitoring April 2015
Preliminary results demonstrate the potential for unmanned aerial vehicles to greatly improve our understanding of the health and productivity of New Zealand forests. The sight of drones flying over New…
- Growing confidence in forestry's future May 2014
Scion Research Programme 2013 - 2019 Raising the profitability of commercial forestry investments is an imperative for the entire New Zealand forestry sector and also vital to increasing economic…
- How to create good kmz (google earth) files November 2013
On this page: [Create a polygon in Google Earth] [Saving your .kmz file] [Editing a .kmz polygon in Google Earth] Print this page Create a polygon in Google Earth 1.…
- A dynamic framework for spatial modelling Pinus radiata soil water balance (SWatBal) across New Zealand
FRI Bulletin No. 234, Palmer, D. J., M. S. Watt, B. K. Höck, D. J. Lowe and T. W. Payn (2009).
- How Much Wood Has Your Woodlot Got?
Forest Research Bulletin No. 217, Maclaren, J. P. (2000)
Practical guide to woodlot inventory, aimed at farm foresters. Somewhat dated (eg excludes use of electronic technology such as GPS and Vertex).
- Field guide for sample plots in New Zealand forests
FRI Bulletin No. 186, Ellis, J. C. and J. D. Hayes (1997).
- A three-dimensional formula for coniferous log volumes in New Zealand
FRI Bulletin No. 20, Ellis, J. C. (1982).
- Predicting final branch size in thinned radiata pine stands
FRI Bulletin No. 3, Inglis, C. S. and M. R. Cleland (1982).
- Stand assessment by log grades using MARVL
FRI Bulletin No. 132, Manley, B. R., C. J. Goulding and M. E. Lawrence (1987).
- Sampling and measuring procedure for tree volume and taper equation construction and testing
FRI Bulletin No. 138, Gordon, A. and J. Penman (1987).
- Simple experimental design for forestry trials
FRI Bulletin No. 71, Andrew, I. (1986).
- Log volume tables for tapers of 0.4cm/m to 2.2cm/m
FRI Bulletin No. 20 Supplement, Ellis, J. C. (1982).
- Inventory Practice for Managed Forests
Goulding, C. J., & Lawrence, M. E. (1992). FRI Bulletin No. 171 (pp. 50). Rotorua, NZ: NZ Forest Research Institute.
Handbook aimed at professional foresters. Could still be of value to farm foresters keen on accurate forest inventory. Somewhat dated (eg excludes use of electronic technology such as GPS and Vertex).