Health and Safety
These guidelines have been prepared with Forest Grower's Levy funding and are available here>>
- Safetree™ is your one-stop resource to find the safety information you need to do your jobs safely and without injury.
- Safetree™ provides resources to you at all levels of the industry to remind you how to do your jobs safely.
- Safetree™ targets information at forest owners and managers, contractors, foremen, head breaker outs, breaker outs, tree fallers, hauler and machine operators, and silviculture workers.
WorkSafe New Zealand has a forestry safety assessment programme called Safer Forest Harvesting.
A principal's guide to contracting to meet the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992
This guide sets out a broad process for building health and safety into contract management, which can then
be adapted to specific contractual situations or industries.
Approved Code of Practice (ACOP)
Safety and Health in Forest Operations: Roles and Responsibilities of Principals and Contractors
November 2014 (pdf). Note: This ACOP is to be fully revised during 2015
Department of Labour
Infozone: Business Essentials explains the basics of employment relations and health & safety requirements
for running a business. It provides templates, examples and links to practical tools and more detailed information.
1. ACC Forest Safety Guidance leaflets
Leaflet 1: Strains and sprains on skid sites
Leaflet 2: Health and well-being
Leaflet 3: Avoiding injuries when pruning and thinning -to-waste
Leaflet 4: Avoiding injuries when planting and releasing
Leaflet 5: Avoiding felling injuries
Leaflet 6: Safer machine operating
Leaflet 9: Felling and breaking out skills quiz
Leaflet 10: Quiz answers
Leaflet 11: Avoiding injuries on the skidsite
Leaflet 12: Forest machinery maintenance
2. ACC forestry safety
On the ACC forestry page:
The following small business resources provide tips and information specific to safety in the forestry industry:
- ACC1305 How to manage hazards: for forestry (PDF 617K)
- ACC1306 Emergencies and incident investigation: for forestry (PDF 611K)
- ACC1307 Training and supervision: for forestry (PDF 669K)
- ACC1308 Improving workplace health and safety: for forestry (PDF 576K)
Use ACC’s key work safety programmes to establish health and safety systems and help keep your business injury-free. For further information see: