Official website of the New Zealand Farm Forestry Association
- Tools for pruning radiata pine
Chris Meads – Levin Sawmakers, New Zealand Tree Grower August 2005. If you have decided to prune, then use the right pruning equipment. The two most common methods of pruning are…
- Pruning young poplars
Sarah Hurst, Ian McIvor, Carlo van den Dijssel, Steve Green, Lindsay Fung, Grant Douglas and Lex Foote, New Zealand Tree Grower May 2006. Since the 1950s over six million poplars have…
- Pruning and thinning eucalyptus - Stringybark eucalypt silviculture
Dean Satchell, New Zealand Tree Grower November 2006. Equipped with a harness, pole-pruner and ladder Silviculture of eucalypts for solid-timber requires some understanding of the tree and the timber. That is,…
- Coast redwood silviculture in New Zealand
Mark Dean, New Zealand Tree Grower February 2007. Californian coastal redwood, Sequoia sempervirens, has proved to grow well in New Zealand when correct siting and establishment practices are attended to. On good…
- Plantation silviculture at the crossroads
Euan Mason, New Zealand Tree Grower May 2007. What do you think of New Zealand? The classic question reputedly asked of so many visitors has provoked a variety of answers. John…
- Ringbarking as a method for thinning trees: Dean Satchell's blog, April 13, 2018
Radiata pine, because of a long history of genetic improvement, is often planted at stockings of less then 1000 stems per hectare. Douglas fir, on the other hand, is often…
- Thoughts on silviculture: John Purey-Cust Ponders, June 12, 2014
My last effort was on the vexed question of whether or not to prune and thin radiata pine. There I think I concluded helpfully that in the end its over…
- The everlasting argument: John Purey-Cust Ponders, March 06, 2014
The everlasting argument, whether to prune or not to prune , depends on you. No one who gives you advice knows any better than you, whatever their experience. They can…
- Model to predict the effects of pruning and early thinning on the growth of radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 5, West, G. G., R. L. Knowles and A. R. Koehler (1982).
- New approaches to spacing and thinning in plantation forestry. Proceedings of a IUFRO symposium held at the Forest Research Institute, Rotorua, New Zealand, 10-14 April, 1989
FRI Bulletin No. 151, James, R. N. and G. L. Tarlton (1989).
- Pruned stand certification: A manual of procedures
FRI Bulletin No. 167, Somerville, A. (1995).
- Silvicultural Systems
Matthews, J. D. (1991). Silvicultural Systems. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Standard text on silivcultural systems from clearcut to selection and including coppice and agroforestry.
- The Practice of Silviculture: Applied forest ecology
Smith, D. M., Larson, B. C., Kelty, J., Mark, P., & Ashton, S. (1997 ). The Practice of Silviculture: Applied forest ecology (9 ed.). USA: John Wiley and Sons.
Classic American forestry textbook for those interested in applying ecological principles to managing trees