Angus Gordon's Cypress trial at Taihape December 2016
Cypress trial, A W Gordon, 500 m asl, rainfall 850 mm pa, soild Waiaruhe silt loam LUC 7 E 13
Trial layout starting at top (Northern) fenceline, 3 x 3 centres
All main species (25 trees) are double row across the gully comparing a sunny vs shady aspect.
This video looks at the following clones and seedlines:
- Rotoehu 2/20 (Martin Bannister selection): Cutting grown, great form, light branching
- Strathallen macrocarpa seedlings: Disaster! 1 tree without canker... don't go there
- Rangitoto #3 (Denis Hocking selection): Good frorm, light branching, canker free
- Gwava's lusitanica: Okay form, higher dbh, moderate-heavy branch size
- Ovensii: Generally straight, heavy lower branches
"This trial was set up to experiment with a rtange of species and provenances to test performance for the site characteristics that exist here, with the range of genetic material that was available in 2006. This trial could be used as a decision tool for larger scale afforestation on this property and others with similar site characteristics.
These trees have been allowed to express their genetic habits, both good and bad... First pruning age 9.5."
No posts yet