- Growing totara for timber
Totara (Podocarpus totara) is one of New Zealand’s most easily grown native species. It has an extensive natural range and tolerates a wide variety of sites. It readily regenerates from…
- Survey of existing uses and market potential of naturally regenerated farm totara
Paul Quinlan and David Bergin, February 2012
The Northland Totara Working Group has completed a survey on the uses and market potential of naturally regenerated farm totara timber. The results are very encouraging. There was clear support…
- Totara – a growing resource
Dave Cown, David Bergin and Paul Quinlan, November 2009
Totara is widely distributed throughout New Zealand, from sea level to over 500 metres, on well drained flood plains and drought prone hills, and on clay to volcanic soils. Totara…
- Totara – Northland’s farm forests of the future
Helen Moodie, Paul Quinlan, David Bergin and Chris Kennedy, November 2007
Introducing the vision, activities, objectives and profile of the Northland Totara Working Group. It may be hard for people outside Northland to imagine, but totara are so vigorous and abundant…
- Report: Trees for steep slopes - totara
Dean Satchell, July 2018. Totara is a native conifer and member of the podocarp family, with two species growing into large trees, Podocarpus totara and P. hallii. These species naturally hybridise (Bergin, 2003), with P. hallii being predominant in…
- Report: Pathways to Building Code compliance for farm-totara timber
Dean Satchell, June 2016. Potential markets for farm-totara timber would be significantly improved by providing compliance pathways under New Zealand’s performance-based Building Code. A range of products and applications hold the promise of market…
- Sustainable totara management and biodiversity conservation in Northland: School of Forestry blog, March 21, 2017
David Norton and Laura Young, School of Forestry, University of Canterbury, Christchurch. 9 December 2016 Public conservation (PCL) land makes up a relatively minor part of the Northland land area…
- Report: Pathways to Building Code compliance for farm-totara timber June 2016
Backed by the Sustainable Farming Fund, Tanes Tree Trust and NZFFA, this report explores opportunities for Building Code compliance that would lead to market development and greatly increase the potential…
- Totara: establishment, growth and management
Bergin, D. (2003) New Zealand Indigenous Tree Bulletin No. 1 (pp. 40). Rotorua: NZ Forest Research Institute.
Full colour handbook: practical advice on growing and managing totara in NZ.
- Management of Naturally Regenerating Totara on Farms - Thinning and Pruning
Technical article No. 11.3
- Totara: Existing uses and market development opportunities for naturally regenerating totara timber
Quinlan, P., & Northland Totara Working Group. (2011). NZ Landcare Trust. Sustainable Farming Fund. Northland Totara Working Group.
Comprehensive report with practical information about harvesting, processing and marketing totara. Northland focus but relevant elsewhere. SFF project (L10/145).